Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Old Willow Oak



Every once in a while Mother Nature sends you a wake up notice and she did for us last week. And
it sucked. A quick and violent wind storm took down a large willow oak in our front yard in Grays Chapel, North Carolina. Willow oaks grow fast, and although only 53 years old, it was huge and provided wonderful shade. Sadly, I know exactly how old it was, because my Dad and I planted it when I was six years old. It was and old friend and I am so sorry to see it go.

Fortunately, I found a crew of really good tree men to clean up the mess. The guys from Andy McArthur tree service with the help of a 50 ton crane moved everything and kept the damage minimal.










(Photographs copyright 2012 by Dan Routh)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, we had to cut down one of our lovely trees this week too...Thanks to the electric company for hacking it up during it's growth and the final wind storm took it's toll. :(