Monday, August 2, 2010

Joepyeweed


Butterflies are abundant this year on our farm in Grays Chapel, North Carolina. In fact, I don't remember ever having as many in our yard. There are literally hundreds. Sometimes it seems as if our yard is alive and moving in one big dance. Part of the reason is my wife has chosen plants and flowers for our yard that attract the butterflies, but another big reason is the large number of wildflowers we have growing on other parts of the farm. I clip my pastures, but I don't trim close to the creeks and fence lines and the result is a large population of plants such as joepyeweed which act a magnet for all sorts of butterflies. I didn't set out to do it on purpose, but a lack of time and money to keep things manicured has resulted in an abundance of wildlife.

(Photographs copyright 2010 by Dan Routh)

No comments: